Indian IT industry should address the domestic market
VARIndia Star Nite Awards - 2008, which played host to the felicitation ceremony of the top performers of the Indian IT industry for the current year, also witnessed some heartening views from the industry pundits about the India's strong position in the present financial turmoil.
Giving a thought-provoking speech, Dr. Subas Pani, Secretary, Planning Commission, Government of India, who was also the Chief Guest, said, “We should not press panic button so early as the Indian economy is quite sturdy and its fundamental are strong. The Indian IT industry should avail of the opportunity by showing its capacity to sustain growth momentum. They should focus on the domestic market at a time when it is facing challenges of global slowdown.”
In his view, the Indian IT and IT-enabled services should capitalize on the outsourcing model and explore growth opportunities in the domestic market. He expressed unhappiness that the IT sector was yet to tap the potential of Indian languages computing.
There is a vast Indian platform, which remains untouched by the IT Revolution in India. The IT industry should address the domestic market for creating a sustainable revenue model in the process.
He promised that the Government would make all the efforts to encourage the use of local language applications in their departments. It is of equal importance to ensure that most of the software for workflow process and documentation systems is enabled in local languages.
Echoing Dr. Pani's views, Dr. S. N. Dash, Secretary, Ministry of Heavy Industries, Government of India, said, “The current economic slowdown has come as a blessing in disguise. This should make the IT sector think about the domestic market. There is a huge untapped potential that needs to be explored by the IT vendors to ensure successful use of local language computing applications.”
Exuding confidence that India will overcome the economic slowdown easily, Vinnie Mehta, Execurive Director, MAIT, said, “The fundamentals of Indian economy are sound. Though India is witnessing an economic slump, the IT market has grown reasonably well. All the vendors in India have reported positive growth and it is going to happen in the next quarters also.”
Appreciating the efforts of VARIndia magazine, N. Vijayadiyta, Controller of Certifying Authorities, Department of Communications & IT, Government of India, said, “VARIndia has been providing an interactive platform for the entire IT landscape to discuss the latest trends dominating the industry.”
Finally, the prominent awardees at VARIndia Star Nite Awards - 2008 included HP India Sales Pvt. Ltd., which received the Award of Channel Favourite Company; IBM India Pvt. Ltd. received the Best Technology Innovation Award - 2008; Microsoft India received Best S/W Suite for SMBs; Aspect Software received the Award for IP Contact Centre Technology Pioneer; Polycom for Best Video Conferencing Infrastructure Provider; Intel India for Best Processor Vendor; SAP India for the Best Business Application Solution Vendor; Oracle received the Award for Best Database Management Software Vendor; TVS-E for Best Key Board (Mechanical) Vendor; Samsung for the Best CRT Monitor Vendor; Canon as the Best Imaging Solution Company; EMC for the Best Storage Solution Vendor; and Epson as the Best Impact Printer (Dot-Matrix) Vendor, among many others.
Details of the awardees:
List of Awardees
HP India Sales Pvt. Ltd.
1. Best PC Brand - Home Purpose
2. Best Notebook Vendor
3. Best X86 Servers Vendor
4. Best Inkjet Printers Vendor
5. Best Laser Printers Vendor
6. Best Colour Laser Printer Vendor
7. Best MFD (Laser) Vendor
8. Best Scanners Vendor
9. Channel Favourite Company
10. Best PC Brand - Business Purpose
11. Best ThinClient Vendor
12. Best Storage Solution Vendor
13. Best Networking Vendor
14. Best Key Board (Membrane)
15. Best Webcam
16. Best Mouse
17. Best Modem Vendor
18. Fastest Growing Networking Solution Vendor for SMBs
19. Best Impact Printer (Dot-Matrix) Vendor
20. Best Projector Vendor
21. Best Imaging Solution Company
22. Best Digital Cameras Brand
23. Best IT Retail Favourite Company
24. Best CRT Monitor Vendor
25. Best LFD Vendor
26. Best Key Board (Mechanical) Vendor
27. Best Memory Module Vendor
28. Best Business Application Solution Vendor
29. Best Database Management Software Vendor
30. Best Hard Disk Drive Vendor
31. Best Processor Vendor
32. Best Motherboard Vendor
33. Best Networking Solution Company
34. Best Cabinet Vendor
35. Best Speaker
36. Best Antivirus Software Vendor
37. Best Gateway Antivirus Software Vendor
IBM - Tivoli
38. Best Technology Management Solutions Company
39. Best Technology Innovation Award-2008
40. Best UTM Solution Vendor
41. Best S/W Suite for SMBs
42. Best Gaming Console Vendor
43. Best Gaming Hardware
44. Best Tape Drive Vendor
45. Best Firewall Vendor
46. IP Contact Centre Technology Pioneer
47. Best Video Conferencing Infrastructure Provider
48. Best Unified Communications Solutions Vendor
50. Channel Favourite Security Vendor
51. Best Structure Cabling Vendor
Editor's Choice Awards
1) VGA Card: Simmtronics Semicondctors Ltd.
2) Motherboard: Simmtronics Semicondctors Ltd.
3) Value-for-Money PC: eSys Information Technology Ltd.
4) Emerging Innovative Networking Company: ZyXel Technology India Pvt. Ltd.
5) Dot-Matrix Printer: TVS-E
6) Most Promising Brand in IT: Digi-Link