Polycom is well-positioned to support India’s digitalization
Vice President, SAARC & SEA - Polycom India
Digitization transforming the Industry
India continues to go through digital transformation bringing significant change to almost all aspects of our society – from how business transactions occur, the way people communicate, to the way people receive critical services like healthcare to how students are taught. This is providing Polycom with great opportunity to provide solutions that help people connect better and in turn, is helping expand access to healthcare, government and education services to citizens.
● The Government sector is rapidly adopting video conferencing solutions - government is an important adopter of Polycom solutions. The government’s infrastructure is being expanded and several government agencies are now using video conferencing solutions to coordinate with their peers in different locations. Many courts and justice systems in the country are also using collaboration solutions to increase efficiency and productivity.
● Healthcare sector - India is having the key demographics and geography that can leverage the full benefits of video conferencing in healthcare sector. Large travel distances, traffic congestion and increasing pharmaceutical manufacturing provide an environment that can truly benefit from the use of video conferencing technology. Also, the doctor shortage in rural areas has resulted in increased demand for healthcare services regardless of where people are located. Polycom’s telemedicine solution allows clinicians to provide a high level interaction patient care regardless of location. High definition video, along with our ecosystem of telemedicine providers allows organisations to provide diagnostic quality care from a distance.
● Polycom solutions is enabling equal access to quality education - both public and private sector players are digitising their classrooms in the country and they are using video conferencing technology to ensure that they develop their students as global citizens by giving them access to remotely connect with the best trainers across the globe. This is helping us enable equal access to quality education.
● Other sectors – Cement and steel companies are expanding significantly in India as there is a focus on revamping the country’s infrastructure. This is a huge opportunity for us to provide video conferencing solutions as a lot of coordination and communication is required between teams in different locations. Apart from this, we are also seeing good adoption of our solutions in the financial sector.
Business Opportunities & Trends
As the country accelerates its focus on digitisation, there is a huge opportunity for Polycom to provide technology that drives ease of access to critical services, increase productivity , and bring in increased opportunities for less urbanized regions.
Some of the trends that we are witnessing includes:
● Today, customers are focused on increasing the productivity of their workforce to reduce costs and enable their people to come together as dynamic teams, no matter where they are located. This is contributing to the growth in adoption of collaboration solutions among enterprises.
● With the improvement of our broadband infrastructure, India becomes more digitally inclusive and we can expect to see a jump in demand for collaboration solutions like high definition video and digital content sharing that were previously unavailable.
R&D teams driving growth
We firmly believe that our R&D team is essential for our long-term success. In India, we have a R&D center in Hyderabad – this R&D hub carries out global innovation development, as well as localization for India market; they focus on creating very core audio/video algorithms for sensing what is critical to optimizing each meeting experience – i.e. speaker tracking & framing, meeting and meeting device analytics. They are also working on things like facial recognition, adding in AI capabilities to our cameras, and leveraging natural language processing.